Southern Africa is the perfect children’s playground. The climate and outdoor lifestyle is perfect for the many activities kiddies love, some of which they’ll experience for the very first time and will very likely be the basis for the start of an important relationship between child and nature.
Whether it’s a gloriously carefree time on the beach, wonderment at wildlife in a game reserve, or simply ample green space to expend excess energy, Thompsons Africa invites children to ‘come and play’.
- Hlosi Game Lodge is the only lodge on Amakhala Game Reserve that has an activity program for children. ‘Cubs on Safari’ is a complimentary service for children aged 3 to 11 years and with a whole lot to choose from, kids will be entertained for hours. Activities include scavenger hunts, rock painting, photo frame painting, swing ball, soccer, dodge ball, cricket, bracelet making, kite making, popsicle stick pot plants, plaster of paris foot prints, puzzles and board games.
- Family friendly accommodation includes two family suites (2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms each) as well as four luxury family safari tents (2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom).
- The lodge is set in the middle of the malaria free reserve on a plain so offers great game viewing from the decks, but is also fenced off to create a safe environment.
- The lodge offers a dedicated children’s play room with toys, books, television and activities as well as a play area for little ones which includes swings, a sandpit and jungle gym.
- The Kiddies Menu offers everything kids love. Burgers and fries, chicken nuggets, pasta and mini pizzas are a huge hit!
- Daily Kiddie Drives are available to children under 12 years old (between 10h00 and 12h00). Parent supervision is required on this drive.
- Baby-sitting services, child minding facilities and private vehicles to families are at an extra charge.
Amakhala Game Reserve is set in a spectacular stretch of rolling hills near the unspoiled coastline of the Eastern Cape close to Addo Elephant National Park. In this malaria-free reserve the ‘Big Five’ roam freely on the land they were driven from hundreds of years before.
With many of the lodges owned and run by descendants of the 1820 Settlers, the Amakhala experience includes a rich historical undercurrent as well as warm hospitality in a luxurious African Setting. Ideally situated at the end of the Garden Route, this unique private reserve offers Big Five game viewing as well as cheetah, giraffe, zebra and over 16 antelope species and breath-taking scenery that will capture your imagination.
Accommodation consists of a selection of 3 to 5 star rated Luxury Lodges, Tented Camps and Country Houses. Experience professionally guided safaris in open landrovers, a guided walking safari or horse-riding activities.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Impodimo Game Lodge, a lodge set in the malaria free Madikwe Game Reserve.
- The unique kiddies program is tailored to suit different ages.
- Each child receives a personalized welcome pack with goodies and activities to do in between safaris.
- Children over the age of 6 years are welcome on game drives. Families with younger children also enjoy a shorter game experience – the ‘kiddies bumble’. Perfect for holding the attention of little ones.
- Kiddies are taken on an educational bush walk with an armed ranger close to the lodge while parents enjoy the spa or relax.
- The Deluxe Safari Suite offers something a little more extraordinary. Accommodation for up to 4 guests and 2 children, the Deluxe Safari Suite offers 2 en-suite rooms, a lounge and dining area, private boma and plunge pool all commanding magnificent views over the Madikwe bushveld. Set the pace on a bushveld experience that takes safari to a whole new level with a private guide, tracker, open 4×4 game viewer, chef and butler.
Impodimo Game Lodge is set along a rocky ridge at the source of a natural spring commanding stunning vistas of the Madikwe Game Reserve. Each of the 8 Luxury Suites and Deluxe Safari Suite features full en-suite bathrooms with outdoor showers, closed system fireplaces and private deck amongst other luxuries.
Our passion has always been to bring the most amazing experiences to our guests and with that in mind the Elephant Hide was born. Our guests get to enjoy a fully stocked bar, Italian coffee and air-conditioned comfort whilst they soak up the wildlife just meters away at the waterhole. In addition the lodge also features a sala, swimming pool, bar, lounge and deck with stunning views over the reserve.
Join your ranger and highly experienced Shangaan tracker on dawn and dusk safaris. We love to go out of our way to ensure that kids and parents both have an unforgettable safari experience. Kids may participate in our kiddies program, where the children are entertained and occupied with fun and educational activities.
- The Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre is amongst the best in Southern Africa and is fully registered to provide veterinary care to young, abandoned, orphaned or injured animals. Thereafter releasing them back into the wild.
- Shamwari ‘Kids on Safari’ Kids Club offers a kiddies library, arts & crafts activities, pizza making using wood-fired pizza ovens and cookie decoration.
- The ‘Kids on Safari’ Outdoor Adventure Centre offers a climbing wall, ziplines, giant slide and elevated walkways and tree houses.
- Dedicated child minders and Adventure Centre Coordinators as well as childminding is available for kiddies younger than the age of four.
- Children from the age of four are welcome on game drives.
- The lodge offers interleading rooms with sleeper couches.
The award winning Shamwari Private Game Reserve is situated in the heart of the Eastern Cape of South Africa, a mere 70 km from Port Elizabeth. Shamwari is home to six luxurious lodges and an Explorer Camp, all providing a truly unique and authentic African experience.
The game drives are second to none featuring magnificent encounters with the coveted big five as well as herds of animals and spectacular bird species. The incredible field guides have ample experience and extensive knowledge of the fauna and flora of Shamwari.
Shamwari has two Born Free Big Cat Sanctuaries and a remarkable Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. In collaboration with the Born Free Foundation, the Big Cat Rescue and Education Centres aim to draw attention to the plight of wild cats, confined in impoverished, captive environments throughout the world.
- The Peech Hotel‘s abundant, safe and secure garden space is ideal for children to explore, including an outdoor hanging basket chair, two swimming pools, and many different plant and bird species.
- The in-house restaurant is ideal for families, offering relaxed indoor and shaded outdoor dining throughout the day. Freshly prepared a la carte breakfast, lunch and dinner menus feature seasonally inspired ingredients, and the Chef and kitchen team tailor make meals to suit even the youngest and simplest guests preferences.
- The new Luxury Rooms offer inter-leading ground floor options suitable for families.
- Children are made to feel welcome with mini gowns and slippers and locally made kiddie packs.
- The new Peech Villa offers two en-suite bedrooms with interleading living area and outside covered patio. Ideal for a family of up to 5 (2 adults and 3 children).
- Located in Melrose, The Peech is closely situated to many family friendly local attractions, including Acrobranch, The War Museum, Jo’burg Zoo, Daytona Cars, Melrose Arch shopping and dining precinct (5 minutes), Rosebank Shopping Mall & Entertainment Centre (5 minutes), James & Ethel Grey Park (opposite hotel), Planet Fitness Gymnasium (next door – indoor running track, indoor swimming pool, full facility gymnasium and daily group exercise schedule).
Set amid two acres of landscaped gardens, The Peech Hotel is a purposefully designed boutique hotel located in the desirable residential neighbourhood of Melrose. Centrally located, and easily accessible to nearby shopping hubs of Sandton, Rosebank and Melrose Arch.
The interior style is understated “Afri-chic”, infused with locally inspired design and craftsmanship. The hotel’s 32 rooms offer guests functional luxury and discreet personal service, with Heritage, Classic, Luxury, Suites and a 2 Bedroom Villa options. The Peech prides itself on ensuring fairness, respect for, and diversity among employees. They are proudly Fair Trade in Tourism certified and continue to lead the way in sustainable urban hoteling and tourism.
The hotel offers 2 restaurants; an in-house bistro serving breakfast and light meals throughout the day. A new restaurant opened early 2019 offers guests and local patrons a more sophisticated dining space and wine bar serving lunch and dinner daily. Guests are invited to make use of the neighbouring Planet Fitness gym facility offering indoor swimming pool, running track and variety of instructor led classes. The Peech Hotel has been described as ‘contemporary, edgy and Afrocentric’ by Condé Nast Traveller, and is the perfect antidote to the hustle and bustle of Joburg City.
- Perfectly located in Bantry Bay, the President Hotel is an ideal base from which to explore all the attractions of the city and surrounds. Head to the beach or take a leisurely stroll along the Promenade. Visit the V&A Aquarium, hop on a scenic Red Bus Tour 5metres from the hotel entrance, have a picnic at Green Point Park and so much more perfectly suited for families.
- Spacious apartments that provide ample space for the whole family to relax, along with separate rooms to keep the kids’ bedtime routines on track. Children under 12 also eat for free when sharing with their parents.
- A fully functional kitchenette makes meal-time a breeze, while convenient amenities such as extra plug points, block-out curtains, cots and baby baths are provided.
- Dedicated kids’ activities, playground and pool that help keep little ones entertained while parents enjoy some much-needed leisure time relaxing on the sun-drenched pool deck.
- Children can be treated to a pizza-making class or signed up for fun-filled activities at the Kids Club. Qualified child minders are also available upon request so parents can enjoy a romantic evening out.
- Even the pickiest eaters will love the special kids’ menu – designed to be as tasty as they are nutritious. The Umatie range is also available on request.
Experience affordable and luxury living in Cape Town’s most beautiful urban resort, the President Hotel is a peaceful haven just a step away from the buzz of Cape Town’s CBD. Situated in the wind-free suburb of Bantry Bay, guests can enjoy breathtaking views of endless ocean horizons set against the backdrop of the infamous Lion’s Head and Table Mountain.
Exquisitely designed for a maximum light and a sense of space and tranquillity, the President Hotel offers an enticing selection of restaurants, bars, lounges, conference facilities, gardens and terraces to suit your changing moods, desires and needs. The hotel’s rooms and apartments combine contemporary sophistication and comfort with spaciousness and each and every guest room is beautifully appointed with a semi self-catering kitchenette. The President Hotel has all the luxury facilities and guest services you would expect in any world-class hotel.
Work, Rest and Play at the President Hotel that offers you the best of both worlds: In the City and By the Sea. Live it. Love it. At the President.
- An ideal holiday destination welcoming children of all ages to a hotel offering a relaxed ambience. Kids are accommodated together with their parents in large rooms with 2 double beds.
- Children can chose to enjoy a day splashing around in the kiddies pool or some fun in the sandpit.
- During peak leisure periods there is a special kids buffet breakfast table with food items tailored for their enjoyment.
- A life guard is on duty giving parents peace of mind as their children spend time at the pool.
- The hotel is within close proximity to Gateway Theatre of Shopping which offers an array of activities for the family including a fun area for younger children and a wave park for those more daring.
- Umhlanga Beach is just five minutes away. Families can spend the day picnicking, swimming or surfing or just enjoy a relaxing day soaking up the sun.
Garden Court Umhlanga is ideally situated in Umhlanga Rocks within close proximity to the Gateway Shopping Centre and popular uMhlanga beaches.
The hotel offers spacious guest areas with internet facilities to cater for leisure travellers. The environment is welcoming and inspires relaxation, while the restaurant serves a variety of light meals and refreshing beverages throughout the day. The hotel boasts a lush courtyard that offers guests 2 heated pools, one with a play-ledge for young children to enjoy. A comprehensive gym facility on the 5th floor will ensure that health fanatics are also catered for. Spa treatments are available.
The hotel’s 204 rooms offers a contemporary interior with colours and textures of natural reed that inspires a feeling of relaxation.
- The spacious interleading family rooms, which accommodate additional cots and rollout beds for children of all ages, include laundry service and room service menu for children, as well as special touches in the room such as a coloring book and crayons, soft toy penguin for children 2 to 10 years, baby basket with baby toiletries, and even their very own gown and slippers.
- Parents have the choice of a babysitting service which is available on request or can even make use of the complimentary supervised children’s club which offers a variety of activities to choose from including DVD’s, games, PlayStation and Xbox, books and storytelling!
- Families can participate in the wonderful Chef’s Table experience and create delicious sweet treats with the pastry chefs as well as gain more knowledge on the hotel’s very important no waste concept.
- Children are spoilt for choice and can indulge in one of the kids friendly scrumptious dining options as well as enjoy a very special milk and cookies turndown just before bed.
- Children can take a dip in the hotel’s child friendly heated pool or enjoy one of the spa treatments which are uniquely tailormade for families with children.
Captivating visitors since 1899, Cape Town’s iconic resort hotel is a tranquil hideaway just moments from the city’s buzzing heart.
Belmond Mount Nelson’s 198 individually designed rooms and suites and a host of fabulous facilities appeal equally to romantic couples, families or adventurous groups. Stroll through our expansive gardens, take a tree tour or browse the outdoor sculpture exhibition. Discover the hotel’s history, art and culture on self-guided tours.
Enjoy imaginative cuisine in our restaurants and soothing bliss at the spa. Just beyond our gates lies the pulsating city, with stunning beaches and historic hotspots moments away. Forever watching over the hotel is Table Mountain, another wondrous Cape Town landmark.
Contact a Thompsons Africa consultant for more details or to make a booking.
Tel: +27 31 275 3500