Nestled in the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains on South Africa’s dramatic lesser-known west coast, this ecological oasis is a magical wilderness retreat set among open plains, sandstone formations and ancient bush art sites dating back 10,000 years.
*** A National Geographic Unique Lodge of the World, Bushmans Kloof offers luxurious accommodation amidst botanical gardens and pristine wilderness. Renowned for passionate service and generous hospitality, accommodation comprises 16 guest rooms and suites, with Koro Lodge, an exclusive private villa, ideally suited to families and groups.
Cederberg House is inspired by the timeless design of Cape Dutch architecture and offers an exclusive window to the wilderness beyond. Ideal for families and groups of friends, the house features a private guide to explore the magical wilderness of Bushmans Kloof, two large master bedrooms (one with a four-poster bed) with en suite bathrooms, an outside shower in private courtyard, a separate bar area, dining room and living space with a wood-burning fireplace and a private terrace with sun loungers, a dining area and a heated pool overlooking the river.
Inspired by the fynbos, Bushmans Kloof is the home of authentic Cape cuisine. An organic garden provides the kitchens with fresh, robust produce, while indigenous fynbos add a distinctly ‘Cape’ dimension to a fusion of innovative and traditional fare.
Things to Do
The healing properties of Bushmans Kloof are unique; guests inhale the beauty of their surroundings by walking with wildlife and enriching their minds with tales of ancient Bushmen. A predator and malaria-free South African Natural Heritage Site, enjoy invigorating outdoor activities including nature drives, hiking trails, mountain biking, fishing, canoeing, and swimming in clear rock pools. You will also have access to exquisite bushman paintings and the on-site Heritage Centre, which includes permanent exhibits, photographs and specialist talks.
Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat is a member of the TreadRight Foundation, a not-for-profit organization created as a joint initiative between The Travel Corporation’s (TTC) family of brands. The TreadRight mission is to have a positive impact on the people and communities we visit, to protect wildlife and marine life, and to care for the planet we call home.
The lodge has served as custodians of more than 130 cave sites painted by the indigenous San people, actively working to ensure that these works of art will tell the story of the land’s original inhabitants for generations to come. These preservation efforts have helped the Rock Art earn distinction as a South African National Heritage Site.
- Examine some of the lodge’s more than 130 archaeological rock art sites of the San people. Some of these sites date back as far as 10 000 years.
- Explore on your own. This is a predator-free wildlife reserve where guests have the opportunity to get up-close views of antelope species, black wildebeests, and rare Cape mountain zebras.
- Enjoy alone time. Paddle a canoe along pristine waterways that cut through the sandstone, breaking for a dunk in a secret swimming hole.
- Fields of flowers. Witness one of the world’s most breathtaking springtime events, the Cape wildflower bloom (July to October), when the veld is draped in glorious pastels and jewel tones.
- Private dining. Choose from a selection of dining options including an experience in a natural sandstone amphitheater, lit by a roaring fire and hundreds of twinkling lanterns and candles.
Rates and More
*** National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World is more than a selection of world-class hotels, it is a collection of rare experiences, offering guests intimate encounters with parts of the world not many get to know—and the chance to slow down and truly discover them. Each lodge is deeply rooted in its community and dedicated to protecting the surrounding habitats and cultures—and harnessing their magic to safeguard them for the future.
Contact a Thompsons Africa consultant to make a booking at Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat.
Tel: +27 31 275 3500